Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chariot Bike Hitch Project

While I was repairing my wheel during my training ride to Sarnia, it was suggested to me that I should consider traveling with a bike trailer. The thought had previously crossed my mind, but that was about it. When I returned to Toronto, I decided to see what I could find online. The BOB Yak trailer retails for $369 at MEC. Alas - too rich for my blood! As luck would have it, I found the following listing on craigslist:

Older Chariot bike trailer, Trans-Canada Trail edition. Frame and tires in great shape, some of the fabric on the floor part is failing, and needs repair. Could probably just put a piece of wood or plastic or something. Easy to fix, I just don't have the time.
 
Chariot - Trans Canada Trail Edition
I swiftly responded, and found out that the item in question was located in the east end of Toronto, and that it also lacked the hitch by which I could hook it up to my bike. With that said - the price was right - $30. I made plans to meet on Tuesday, around 5pm. Somewhere near 3pm, the seller sent me an email telling me that she was called to a meeting and would not be able to make it. She informed me that trailer was on her front porch, and that I could check it out without her. If interested, and totally relying on the honour system, I was to leave $30 in her mailbox.

While checking it out, it was pretty clear that this trailer had seen some good action. As mentioned, the floor part was in need of repair, and I also noticed that the wheel axle was bent (wheels not parallel). It obviously needed some tender loving care. Besides that, it just seemed like we were destined to be together - "Trans-Canada Trail edition". So I slipped $30 into the mailbox, hooked up the trailer to my rear rack (using 4 short bungee cords), and rode of with this empty trailer (with barely inflated tires).
The removed wheel, axle all cleaned up and lubricated

I quickly began fixing the trailer up with my dad. The hardest thing was removing the wheels - something that I knew I would have to be able to do if I was going to pack it for my flight. I hunted down the manual, and figured out how the wheels were assembled. We tried everything, but the wheels refused to budge. Eventually, through the combination of heating with a blow torch, and hammering away with fierce determination, did the rusted sub-axle system come apart. It had likely not been taken apart from the day it was put together.




After putting it back together, and obtaining a hitch from Bike Pirates, it was time to give it a test run. I loaded the trailer with all sorts of things to get a feel of what it would be like hauling a heavy load.


Heavy load test - cooler with cinder block, 
milk crate filled with ancient Litho 
encyclopedias, anvil, etc...


Hooked up to my naked bike

The test ride went relatively well, given that the trailer was ridiculously loaded. As such, I have decided to take it with me on the trek. Will finish the patchwork, and will coat the exterior with silicone.

No comments:

Post a Comment