Monday, May 27, 2013

Challenges with medication

Many people who struggle with mental health can relate to the challenges that one faces with medications. Such was my experience on Sunday.

On Sundays, I would (when possible) make it for two back to back classes at the West End YMCA - Ashtanga Yoga, followed by Tai Chi. Yesterday,I woke up a little later in the morning than planned, and as such, was in a slight rush to make it for my last Sunday morning session (prior to leaving for this trip). I made it on time, and it was early through John's yoga class that I started to feel something weird - a strong overwhelming feeling of nausea. I knew what it was right off the bat - while rushing in the morning, I must have accidentally taken my morning medication twice. I've made this mistake before, so I am familiar with the feeling of nausea that accompanies doubling up on a Serotonin-Norepineephrine Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI).

Realizing this, and experiencing it while working through a physically challenging yoga class was most strange. Instead of falling into a flow or rhythm, everything seemed all over the place. Both mind and body did not seem to be co-operating. It certainly was neither pleasurable nor comfortable. Many postures just felt like a struggle, and I found at times that I could not keep up. As such, I was forced to limit my attempts, just so I could make it through the class. When class ended, instead of sticking around for Tai Chi, I opted to head home.

In terms of productivity, much of the day was a write off. The timing for this was horrible, as I certainly have much to take care of this week before flying out on Friday.

One thing for certain - this week is going to be crazy busy and stressful. Hopefully I will not encounter any more similar curve balls!


No comments:

Post a Comment